More Training for Computer Fighter Pilots
by Richard G. Sheffield
The Barrel Roll
The barrel roll is often used in aerobatic demonstrations as well as in air combat. It's halfway between a roll and a loop.
- Fly straight and level at 300 knots or more. (1)
- Pull back on the stick to get the aircraft into a 30-degree climb. (2)
- Apply full right or left stick. (3)
- The aircraft should climb during the first half of the roll and descend during the second, or inverted portion of the roll.
- As your wings approach a level position, ease up on the stick and apply a little forward stick to end the maneuver in level flight. Your goal should be to exit at the same altitude you entered. (4)
Figure 2-3. The Barrel Roll